The California Legislative Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Caucus is composed of openly LGBT members of the California State Legislature. Founded in June 2002, the caucus’ role is to present a forum for the California Legislature to discuss issues that affect LGBT Californians and to further the goal of equality and justice for all Californians.
The CA LGBT Caucus is a great resource for information on LGBT related events and happenings in the State of California. CV Stonewall would like to share this information with regular postings from the CA LGBT Caucus weekly newsletter.
- Welcome to all of the returning and new Members!
- World AIDS Day was December 1.
o People living with HIV continue to face stigma, discrimination, https://chicago.gopride.com/news/article.cfm/articleid/35575849/people-living-with-hiv-continue-to-face-stigma-discrimination.
o Fighting Social Stigma Is Key to Ending HIV/AIDS, https://www.huffingtonpost.com/chad-griffin/fighting-social-stigma-is-key-to-ending-hivaids_b_2220131.html.
o The ACLU AIDS Project: Decades On, Still Separate and Unequal, https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/12/the-aclu-aids-project-decades-on-still-separate-and-unequal/265788/.
o Editorial: Promises on AIDS Are Not Enough, https://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/03/opinion/promises-on-aids-are-not-enough.html.
- Still no word on whether the Supreme Court will take up either Proposition 8 or any DOMA cases. The Court’s next Conference is scheduled for Friday, December 7.
- Federal judge temporarily blocks California from applying gay therapy ban to 3 practitioners,https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/federal-judge-temporarily-blocks-california-from-applying-gay-therapy-ban-to-3-practitioners/2012/12/03/65afabec-3dcc-11e2-8a5c-473797be602c_story.html.
- Psychiatric association approves changes to diagnostic manual, Transgender Is No Longer A Mental Disorder,https://www.cnn.com/2012/12/02/health/new-mental-health-diagnoses/.
- Federal judge temporarily blocks California from applying gay therapy ban to 3 practitioners,
- LGBT organizations condemn ‘Dr. Oz Show’ for episode on reparative therapy, https://lgbtweekly.com/2012/11/29/lgbt-organizations-condemn-dr-oz-show-for-episode-on-reparative-therapy/.
- Lesbian attorney appointed to San Diego County Superior Court, https://sdgln.com/news/2012/11/24/lesbian-attorney-appointed-san-diego-county-superior-court.
- Fleck among first openly gay GOP legislators, https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Fleck-among-first-openly-gay-GOP-legislators-4087140.php.
- Mission Diversify: CIA Begins LGBT Recruiting, https://www.npr.org/2012/12/02/166238287/mission-diversify-cia-begins-lgbt-recruiting.
- Hillary Clinton on the importance of LGBT civil servants, https://tv.msnbc.com/2012/11/29/hillary-clinton-on-the-importance-of-lgbt-civil-servants/.
- Christian’s year of living 'gay' leads to dramatic change, sparks controversy, https://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/02/christians-year-of-living-gay-leads-to-dramatic-change-sparks-controversy/.
- Barney Frank on coming out in Congress, https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/thefold/barney-frank-on-coming-out-in-congress/2012/12/03/40d2c5d8-3d91-11e2-ae43-cf491b837f7b_video.html.
- OUT Magazine releases its 18th OUT100, a varied list of movers and shakers in the LGBT movement. To see the honorees, visit https://www.out.com/out-exclusives/out100-2012/2012/11/15/18th-annual-out100. To see the magazine covers, visit https://www.out.com/out-exclusives/out100-2012/2012/11/15/out100-2012-covers.
The Caucus now has a Facebook page! Please Like it and share with your colleagues and staff, https://facebook.com/calgbt.
To un/subscribe, please contact William.Kim@asm.ca.gov.
LGBT Caucus, Consultant
Assemblymember Gordon, Chair